Now, fatwa issued against `Surya Namaskar`
Bhopal: While Madhya Pradesh government is
making all efforts to make the `Surya Namaskar` exercise on Swami Vivekanand`s birthday here Thursday, a world record, Muslim leaders have opposed the move by issuing a fatwa
Leaders of the minority community have termed the move as
un-Islamic and equated it with idol-worship, which is
prohibited in Islam. They also issued a fatwa in this regard yesterday which was also ratified by the Shahar Qazi, Sayyed Mushtaq Ali Nadvi.
The school education department has made elaborate
arrangements to ensure maximum participation in the Surya
Namaskar exercise so that a world record can be created by
registering the feat in the Guinness Book of records, official
Directives have been issued to all the government and
government-aided schools to ensure maximum participation in
the exercise so that it can become a world record.
Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan has
clarified that the participation in the exercise is not
State School Education Minister, Archana Chitnis told
reporters, "Surya Namaskar is a Yogic exercise aimed at
improving one`s health and those not interested in taking part
in it have an option to stay away from it. Sun is neither
saffron nor green."
However, Muslim leaders have termed the move as an
attempt to saffronise the education system.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them