Number of MLAs with criminal charges rises by 6 per cent in MP
Bhopal: The number of MLAs in Madhya Pradesh with criminal charges against them has risen by six per cent, as compared to figures of the 2008 Assembly polls.
The National Election Watch (NEW) and Association for Democratic Reforms (ADR) said that out of 71 MLAs with criminal records, 48 MLAs are from the BJP (29 per cent) and 23 MLAs are from Congress have tainted records.
The two organisations have urged Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan not to give any constitutional post to any of these tainted MLAs.
A total of 20 of such MLAs have been re-elected and the information gathered by the NEW and ADR after analysing affidavits filed before the Election Commission by candidates belonging to BJP, Congress and Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP).
Case details of senior BJP leader Kailash Vijaywargia, against whom six cases were pending as on 2008, were not available.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed