One drowned, 3 injured after Christian meet attacked in MP town
Betul (MP): One person drowned in a well
while running for cover and three others injured after a
Christian prayer meeting was attacked by masked unidentified
persons at village Saliya near here, police said on Sunday.
Around 8-10 persons armed with lathis and tube lights
stormed into the Christian prayer meeting underway in a field
last night and attacked the congregation following which a
person ran for cover and fell in a nearby well which had no
boundary walls, police said.
Three others, including a woman, were injured in the
incident, they said, adding the attackers had covered their
faces with saffron cloth.
The deceased has been identified as Amit Gilbert (25), a
Christian who had come to attend a meeting from Raipur
district of neighbouring Chhattisgarh, Superintendent of
Police R L Prajapati said.
The attackers also damaged chairs and other stuff at the
venue of the meeting, the SP said.
The unidentified persons have been booked under relevant
sections, Sub Divisional of Police (SDOP), Sarni police
station area, Abhishek Raja said.
Prima facie, it appears that Gilbert ran for safety
following the attack and fell in the well, he said, adding
investigations were on. He said the body of the deceased has
been sent for post-mortem.
The incident took place two days after the police foiled
an attempt of the Bajrang Dal activists to enter a Christian
meeting underway in Balaghat district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing