One killed in police firing, curfew imposed in MP`s Singrauli
Singrauli: One person was killed in police firing in Singrauli town, where an indefinite curfew was clamped on Friday evening following violence, police said.
Enraged over the death of a person who was detained by police and later went missing, a large number of people staged a road blockade and set afire several vehicles, including District Collector M Selvendran`s official car.
As the cane-charge failed to control the violent mob, police opened fire, leading to the death of one Nateeb Siddiqui, they said.
An indefinite curfew was imposed at 8pm to bring the situation under control in the town, about 650km from state capital Bhopal, a senior official told.
The trouble started following the recovery of the body of one Akhilesh Sahu, who was picked up by the police for questioning in connection with a case about 6-7 days back. His body was today found in a well in Amjara village near here.
The locals blamed the police for Sahu`s death. Police, however, said they had released him after questioning and had no role in the incident.
The Collector has ordered a magisterial probe into the police firing.
Meanwhile, Congress leader Ajay Singh termed the twin deaths as "unfortunate" and demanded a judicial probe and also action against Singrauli`s Superintendent of Police.
Singh also demanded a compensation of Rs 5 lakh each to their kin.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what