Opposition parties against renaming of Bhopal
Bhopal: Opposition parties in Madhya Pradesh have opposed the idea to rename capital city Bhopal as Bhojpal saying they would take to streets if the name is changed.
"We will take to the streets if the name of Bhopal is changed to Bhojpal. Bhopal has stood as a witness to Hindu-Muslim unity for the last 300 years," State Congress spokesman Arif Masood told reporters here.
"Who was this Raja Bhoj, 1000 years back, being glorified in hoardings, advertisement and newspapers now," he asked.
In a statement, CPI`s Bhopal secretary Shaliendra Kumar Shaily said that the state government`s desire to change the name of Bhopal to Bhojpal was against democratic and secular values.
"We will organise state wide agitation against the government if it changes the name of the state capital, he said.
Although the opposition parties have come out in open against the renaming, the BJP-led state government has not made any announcement to the effect so far.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune