Opposition urges MP home minister to quit after girl`s murder
Bhopal: The Leader of Opposition in the Madhya Pradesh Assembly Ajay Singh demanded the resignation of Home Minister Uma Shankar Gupta, near whose residence the mutilated body of an eight-year-old girl was found on Monday.
Singh, who led a demonstration of Congress workers before Gupta`s residence, told reporters that the minister had lost all right to stay in office.
"One can very well imagine the collapsing law and order situation in Madhya Pradesh when a little girl is murdered near the home minister`s official residence," Singh said.
He said that Gupta has proved to be a failed home minister and Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan should ask him to step down before the assembly`s budget session on February 18.
"There is no way in which Gupta should be allowed to continue in office even for a single more minute," he said.
Singh said that after Congress workers sat on a dharna for outside Gupta`s residence, a delegation of 15 Congress workers led by him was allowed to meet the minister.
He said that the delegation urged the minister to arrest the culprits responsible for the girl`s killing.
Singh said that the minister assured them that he would do his best to book those responsible for the killing of the girl. He said that the delegation also asked Gupta to explain as to why Madhya Pradesh`s crime rate was rising steeply.
He said that the issue of Gupta`s resignation would be raised during the budget session and added that he had no faith in Gupta`s promise to arrest those responsible for killing the girl.
"Our demand for Gupta`s resignation stands and we will not rest till he goes," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid