Panchayat cuts off girl`s hair in public for allegedly eloping
Betul (Madhya Pradesh): The police have registered a report against 16 people for being part of a tribal panchayat which punished a girl recently, for allegedly eloping, by cutting off her hair in public.
The tribal panchayat at Chikhlar village situated about five kilometres away from Betul district headquarters also punished the girl`s uncle for allegedly eloping with her, by making him run around with a garland of shoes and a grinding stone tied to his chest.
Though the girl aged about 18 pleaded that her uncle had kidnapped her from the village market, the tribal panchayat allegedly did not listen to her pleas and insulted her.
The villagers vociferously have protested against the police action yesterday before the Superintendent of Police (SP) office here, demanding that the report be withdrawn.
They also justified the action of their panchayat as it was their "tradition".
Terming the panchayat`s decision as illegal, the police said that a case has been registered and a further probe is on.
So far, 13 persons have been arrested and released by the police on a personal bond and a search is on to trace the remaining three culprits.
The police had intervened following a tip-off by an anganwadi worker and the girl`s family members spoke out against the panchayat diktat.
Her uncle, who has been accused of eloping with her three months ago, was married, with two children. He returned to the village on March 19 after which the local tribal panchayat met on March 20 to issue the diktat, police sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Italy mourns quake victims, death toll rises to 291
- Kriti Sanon can't wait to watch 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- Indian women's hockey stars humiliated, made to sit on floor of train on way back home from Rio
- Donald Trump vows 'tracking system' to deport everyone whose visa expires
- Rockets fired at Turkey's Diyarbakir airport