Peace march in Bhopal to oppose capital’s renaming
Bhopal: Opposing the Madhya Pradesh
government`s plan of renaming Bhopal as `Bhojpal`, a large
number of people participated in a `Peace March` here.
The march was taken out on Saturday evening, following a
Facebook campaign `Save Bhopal Initiative`, by Faizan Khan, a
22-year-old engineering student.
Last month, at a function organised to mark the
millennium-celebration of coronation of the king Bhoj here,
Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan had said that the
proposal to rename Bhopal as Bhojpal would be sent to the
Former Mayor Deepchand Yadav, Congress leader P C Sharma,
Arif Masood and Bhopal Group for Information and Action`s
Satinath Sadangi took part in yesterday`s rally.
Protesters were seen carrying placards, with slogans such
as `Munni Ke Baad, Bhopal Ko Badnaam Mat Karo`.
There was also a signature campaign opposing the
The march that began at Iqbal Ground was planned to
culminate at the Chief Minister`s residence, but police
stopped the protesters midway at Gauhar Mahal, where the
authorities were handed over a memorandum.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- DNA: Analysis of first SECC survey in eight decades
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?