Peace march in Bhopal to oppose capital’s renaming
Bhopal: Opposing the Madhya Pradesh
government`s plan of renaming Bhopal as `Bhojpal`, a large
number of people participated in a `Peace March` here.
The march was taken out on Saturday evening, following a
Facebook campaign `Save Bhopal Initiative`, by Faizan Khan, a
22-year-old engineering student.
Last month, at a function organised to mark the
millennium-celebration of coronation of the king Bhoj here,
Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan had said that the
proposal to rename Bhopal as Bhojpal would be sent to the
Former Mayor Deepchand Yadav, Congress leader P C Sharma,
Arif Masood and Bhopal Group for Information and Action`s
Satinath Sadangi took part in yesterday`s rally.
Protesters were seen carrying placards, with slogans such
as `Munni Ke Baad, Bhopal Ko Badnaam Mat Karo`.
There was also a signature campaign opposing the
The march that began at Iqbal Ground was planned to
culminate at the Chief Minister`s residence, but police
stopped the protesters midway at Gauhar Mahal, where the
authorities were handed over a memorandum.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Michael Sheen to make directorial debut in killer movie
- Irish fans eye revenge against France; Germany take on Slovakia; Hungary face Belgium
- IIFA 2016 Fashion Trends: Top 6 looks that nailed it at the green carpet! - View pics
- WATCH: OH MY WORD! Did Xherdan Shaqiri score greatest ever Euro goal?
- Lachipora encounter: Security forces shot dead 2 militants; gunbattle underway