Peace march in Bhopal to oppose capital’s renaming
Bhopal: Opposing the Madhya Pradesh
government`s plan of renaming Bhopal as `Bhojpal`, a large
number of people participated in a `Peace March` here.
The march was taken out on Saturday evening, following a
Facebook campaign `Save Bhopal Initiative`, by Faizan Khan, a
22-year-old engineering student.
Last month, at a function organised to mark the
millennium-celebration of coronation of the king Bhoj here,
Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan had said that the
proposal to rename Bhopal as Bhojpal would be sent to the
Former Mayor Deepchand Yadav, Congress leader P C Sharma,
Arif Masood and Bhopal Group for Information and Action`s
Satinath Sadangi took part in yesterday`s rally.
Protesters were seen carrying placards, with slogans such
as `Munni Ke Baad, Bhopal Ko Badnaam Mat Karo`.
There was also a signature campaign opposing the
The march that began at Iqbal Ground was planned to
culminate at the Chief Minister`s residence, but police
stopped the protesters midway at Gauhar Mahal, where the
authorities were handed over a memorandum.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok