Peaceful demolition drive in Bhopal a day after violence
Bhopal: A day after violence marred the
anti-encroachment drive at a residential block at JK Road
here, the exercise to rid the area of unlawfully made
structures on Sunday passed off peacefully.
"Some unlawful structures were blown off and weakened in
the Minal Residency," Additional District Magistrate (ADM)
Rajnish Shrivastava said this evening.
He said that the drive passed off peacefully and there
was no resistance to it.
Shrivastava said some residents of the locality were
provided wrong information that their houses would be brought
down and were incited by vested interests to protest.
The ADM said that the Bhopal Municipal Corporation (BMC)
has plans to flatten around 300 under construction residences
in the township.
However, Shrivastava categorically said that no house in
which people are living would be brought down. Action will be
taken according to the book, he added.
On the violence, he said police are investigating into
it, the ADM said.
Police had to resort to cane charge and burst tear gas
shells yesterday when a mob resorted to stone pelting and
began damaging vehicles while protesting against plans to
demolish illegally built houses in the area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- 11 injured in blast in German city of Ansbach; suspected bomber killed in explosion
- Scoreboard: India vs West Indies, First Test
- Donald Trump threatens to leave WTO
- British PM Theresa May heads to N. Ireland for Brexit talks
- Rio Olympics: WADA 'disappointed' as IOC fails to ban Russia for mega event