People laud MP CM for U`khand rescue work, Oppn criticizes
Bhopal: Even as Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan is being lauded by people for rescuing state pilgrims stranded in Uttarakhand, he has also been criticised by the Opposition Congress for trying to gain `publicity` out the issue.
Chouhan and his team of officials led by Public Relations and Culture Minister Laxmikant Sharma were appreciated on social media for launching relief and rescue operations in the hill state, in time by deploying helicopters and special planes, party leaders claimed.
Chouhan tweeted after arriving with stranded pilgrims in a special plane that, "Apart from rescuing pilgrims from Madhya Pradesh, our rescue teams have rescued 1,810 pilgrims from various states without any discrimination."
Later, in another tweet, Chouhan said, "MP choppers rescued 292 pilgrims from MP and 247 from other states as well."
The state teams have so far rescued nearly 5,500 MP pilgrims from the rain-ravaged Uttarakhand, sources said.
However, the confusion over rescuing a girl Neha alias Snehlata, who claimed that she was unable to find her parents who had gone for pilgrimage to Kedarnath, and Chouhan offering her all assistance drew criticism from Leader of Opposition in state Assembly Ajay Singh.
Ajay questioned the "hurriedness" of Chouhan and alleged that he had done so for getting "cheap publicity."
Neha`s parents arrived in the state capital next day upon hearing that she was in Bhopal and later her story turned out to be totally fictitious as her parents had not gone to Uttarkhand this season and she somehow reached the hill state after leaving from her hometown Bhind (not Gwalior) for Delhi.
However, former vice chancellor and retired IPS officer Arun Gurtoo, who is also a social activist, praised Chouhan`s government for rescuing large number of stranded pilgrims in such a difficult situation.
"Chouhan is a sensitive person and I admire him for rescuing so many people by sending rescue teams to the rain ravaged state, especially when a lot of confusion was prevailing in that state," Gurtoo told a news agency.
"It is the duty of the state to protect its citizens especially when it sends them on pilgrimage," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Say hello to 'nastiest' star ever
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy