PIL against intro of Gita in curriculum dismissed
Jabalpur: Madhya Pradesh High Court on Friday dismissed a petition which had challenged state government`s
decision to introduce lessons based on Bhagvad Gita in the
school curriculum from the next academic year.
The division bench of Justices Ajit Singh and Sanjay
Yadav dismissed the petition filed by Catholic Bishop
Council`s spokesperson, Anand Mutangal. Judges said Gita is
not just a religious scripture, but "a way of life", as it
teaches morality and importance of maintaining social justice.
The petitioner`s lawyer, Rajesh Chandra, had said that
other religious scriptures such as Quran and Bible too should
During an earlier hearing of the case, the bench had
directed advocate Chandra to read the Gita, granting him two
months` time for this purpose.
Today, he stated in the court that he read Gita, but was
unable to comprehend it fully.
The bench then dismissed the petition, saying that Gita
was not just a religious scripture, but a way of life.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!