Plan to dispose off Union Carbide waste runs into trouble
Indore: The plan to dispose off 346
tonnes of industrial waste lying at the now defunct Union
Carbide Factory in Bhopal has run into trouble in the absence
of certain equipment.
Some NGOs here have said the government should take
the people into confidence before beginning the disposal and
that they would be forced to approach the courts if the waste
is disposed off without addressing environment and human
The waste is planned to be disposed off at Pithampur
industrial area and a private company Ramki Enviro Engineers
has been assigned the work of disposing the waste at Union
"Though the trial run of Incinerator based in
Pithampur has begun using the waste of other industries, it
does not have Multi- Effect Evaporator (MEE) or the emission
Online Monitoring System (OMS) to keep a track on waste
disposal, Pithampur Industrial Organisation President Gautam
Kotari said today.
"If the waste is disposed off without MEE and OMS, its
burning will have a dangerous effect on nearly 50 lakh people
living in and around Pithampur," he said.
The state government should clear the air over its
plan to dispose of the waste of Union Carbide and the local
people should be taken into confidence, Dr Bharat Chhaparwal
of Lok Maitri - an NGO said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!