Plan to dispose off Union Carbide waste runs into trouble
Indore: The plan to dispose off 346
tonnes of industrial waste lying at the now defunct Union
Carbide Factory in Bhopal has run into trouble in the absence
of certain equipment.
Some NGOs here have said the government should take
the people into confidence before beginning the disposal and
that they would be forced to approach the courts if the waste
is disposed off without addressing environment and human
The waste is planned to be disposed off at Pithampur
industrial area and a private company Ramki Enviro Engineers
has been assigned the work of disposing the waste at Union
"Though the trial run of Incinerator based in
Pithampur has begun using the waste of other industries, it
does not have Multi- Effect Evaporator (MEE) or the emission
Online Monitoring System (OMS) to keep a track on waste
disposal, Pithampur Industrial Organisation President Gautam
Kotari said today.
"If the waste is disposed off without MEE and OMS, its
burning will have a dangerous effect on nearly 50 lakh people
living in and around Pithampur," he said.
The state government should clear the air over its
plan to dispose of the waste of Union Carbide and the local
people should be taken into confidence, Dr Bharat Chhaparwal
of Lok Maitri - an NGO said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Demonetisation: Majority of ATMs still out of cash
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Unseen Video: On Yuvraj Singh, Hazel Keech's wedding reception, MS Dhoni greets couple with a hug