Police, Naxals exchange fire in Balaghat
Balaghat: Police and naxals exchanged fire in a brief encounter in forest area near Raasimeta village in the district on Thursday, a senior officer said.
The incident occurred when police confronted the ultras on a tip off that they are arriving in the area to collect "donations" from pluckers of Tendu leaves, district SP Gaurav Tiwari told PTI.
Naxals then fired at police who returned it, forcing the Reds to beat a retreat in deep forest.
"Neither any Naxal nor any police jawan was injured in the firing," Tiwari said.
He also dismissed the report that any Maoist cadre was killed in the firing or a dead body found at the spot.
Police have seized belongings of ultras, mostly of daily use, the SP added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Minor girl allegedly gang-raped in Mumbai