Police, naxals exchange fire in Balaghat
Balaghat: Police and naxals exchanged fire in a brief encounter in forest area near Raasimeta village in the district today, a senior officer said.
The incident occurred when police confronted the ultras on a tip off that they are arriving in the area to collect "donations" from pluckers of Tendu leaves, district SP Gaurav Tiwari said.
Naxals then fired at police who returned it, forcing the Reds to beat a retreat in deep forest. "Neither any naxal nor any police jawan was injured in the firing," Tiwari said.
He also dismissed the report that any Maoist cadre was killed in the firing or a dead body found at the spot. Police have seized belongings of ultras, mostly of daily use, the SP added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...