Police, naxals exchange fire in Balaghat
Balaghat: Police and naxals exchanged fire in a brief encounter in forest area near Raasimeta village in the district today, a senior officer said.
The incident occurred when police confronted the ultras on a tip off that they are arriving in the area to collect "donations" from pluckers of Tendu leaves, district SP Gaurav Tiwari said.
Naxals then fired at police who returned it, forcing the Reds to beat a retreat in deep forest. "Neither any naxal nor any police jawan was injured in the firing," Tiwari said.
He also dismissed the report that any Maoist cadre was killed in the firing or a dead body found at the spot. Police have seized belongings of ultras, mostly of daily use, the SP added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video