Politics over Bharat Ratna to Sachin unfortunate: Sachin Pilot
Indore: Corporate Affairs Minister Sachin Pilot on Tuesday said it was "unfortunate" to do politics over conferring of Bharat Ratna on cricketing great Sachin Tendulkar.
"What I can say in my personal capacity is that it is unfortunate to do politics over Sachin being chosen for the highest civilian honour. Sachin has been doing the country proud by his humility. In fact, Sachin`s name has added to the glory of the award," Pilot told reporters at Press Club here.
Taking a dig at BJP`s Prime Ministerial candidate Narendra Modi, Pilot said, "Modi distorts facts about history and geography during his speeches. Though BJP is boasting about higher turnout at his rallies, it will not reflect in election results".
Pilot expressed hope that the Indian economy will benefit once the global economic scene takes a turn for good in next six-eight months.
After Bharat Ratna was announced for Sachin, who retired from cricket recently, and eminent scientist CNR Rao, BJP demanded that former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee should have got the honour long time back. Former NDA ally JD (U) has also backed the demand.
Senior CPM leader Mohammad Salim has said the Centre showed haste in awarding Bharat Ratna to the master-blaster.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 26-year-old woman gives birth to rare conjoined twins in Mumbai hospital
- UPSC topper Tina Dabi's advice to girl students - Read
- Omar Abdullah rubbishes Mehbooba Mufti's claim, says ''she was aware of security encounter with Wani''
- Mainpuri Dalit couple murder: Akhilesh govt assures speedy justice to victim's kin
- Church attacker threatened France in new video