Population control mission doc performs over 3-lac surgeries
Bhopal: With over 3,05,000 sterilisation operations to his credit, Dr Lalit Mohan Pant from Madhya Pradesh, has been hugely successful in his mission to prevent a population explosion in the country.
The Indore-based doctor, who is a surgeon in a government hospital with specialisation in laproscopic sterilisation, has contributed a lot in his little way to tackle the problem of growing population.
"It is estimated that one sterilisation operation prevents 2.7 births, which means I have been successful in preventing addition of 8,23,500 births in the country which has over 1.21 billion as per the 2011 census," Dr Pant, who has documented each operation in official records said.
His consistent efforts also found him a place in the Limca Book of World Records with the largest number of operations in day (816) besides 27,578 surgeries and 627 camps in one year.
For the past 32 years, Pant has been working in the remotest tribal areas of Madhya Pradesh. Now with his headquarters at Indore, he is the only laparoscopic surgeon authorised by the Government of Madhya Pradesh to work throughout the state.
Three decades ago, when he started working on his project, the male participation was almost zero. Now, up to 60 per cent of his patients are males undergoing sterilisation, he said.
He has also started a movement of `Hum Paanch". The idea behind this is to make a chain of people to market good ideas, thoughts or experience sharing, without involving money, for the sake of checking population rise in the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees