Population control mission doc performs over 3-lac surgeries
Bhopal: With over 3,05,000 sterilisation operations to his credit, Dr Lalit Mohan Pant from Madhya Pradesh, has been hugely successful in his mission to prevent a population explosion in the country.
The Indore-based doctor, who is a surgeon in a government hospital with specialisation in laproscopic sterilisation, has contributed a lot in his little way to tackle the problem of growing population.
"It is estimated that one sterilisation operation prevents 2.7 births, which means I have been successful in preventing addition of 8,23,500 births in the country which has over 1.21 billion as per the 2011 census," Dr Pant, who has documented each operation in official records said.
His consistent efforts also found him a place in the Limca Book of World Records with the largest number of operations in day (816) besides 27,578 surgeries and 627 camps in one year.
For the past 32 years, Pant has been working in the remotest tribal areas of Madhya Pradesh. Now with his headquarters at Indore, he is the only laparoscopic surgeon authorised by the Government of Madhya Pradesh to work throughout the state.
Three decades ago, when he started working on his project, the male participation was almost zero. Now, up to 60 per cent of his patients are males undergoing sterilisation, he said.
He has also started a movement of `Hum Paanch". The idea behind this is to make a chain of people to market good ideas, thoughts or experience sharing, without involving money, for the sake of checking population rise in the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Donald Trump takes another step back from hard-line stance on illegal immigration
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital