President bemoans the state of higher education in India
Bhopal: President Pranab Mukherjee on Thursday lamented the fact that there is not even a single Indian varsity among the list of the top 200 universities of the world.
He was addressing at the eighth convocation of the Rajiv Gandhi Technological University here.
Mukherjee said that many meritorious Indian students seek admission in foreign universities today and added that it would be possible to revive the lost "glory" of India`s ancient universities if this pool of bright students could be retained.
"Upgrading standards of higher education should be by a culture of excellence," Mukherjee said.
He said that only one in 50 patent applications in the world is filed in India and pointed out that much more needs to be done to be at the forefront of innovation.
He said that many parts of our country do not have an institute of higher learning and because of this many students belonging to such areas are denied the opportunity to pursue higher studies.
He claimed that for 1800 years beginning in the sixth century BCE, Indian universities like Taxila, Nalanda, Valabhi and Vikramshila "dominated" the world.
Taxila was a global university and the meeting point of Indian, Persian, Greek and Chinese civilisations, he said.
Higher academies have a shortage of good quality teachers and added that unless existing vacancies are filled up and capacity of our teachers developed, steps towards quality improvement will remain incomplete.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark