President condoles deaths in Madhya Pradesh stampede
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee Monday condoled the loss of lives in a stampede at a temple in Madhya Pradesh.
"I am extremely saddened to learn about the stampede at Kamtanath Pahad Temple in Madhya Pradesh, in which a number of devotees, including women, lost their lives and many others were injured," Mukherjee said in a message.
"I understand relief and rescue operations are currently underway," he said in his message to Madhya Pradesh Governor Ram Naresh Yadav.
"I call upon the state government and other authorities to provide all possible aid to the bereaved families, who have lost their near and dear ones as well as medical assistance to the injured," the president said.
Ten pilgrims were killed and over 20 injured in a stampede at a temple in Satna district Monday. The stampede took place when the pilgrims were performing `parikrama` (circumambulation) of a hill near the temple.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’ Salman Khan weaves magic at BO; to register Rs 500 crore soon!