President condoles deaths in Madhya Pradesh stampede
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee Monday condoled the loss of lives in a stampede at a temple in Madhya Pradesh.
"I am extremely saddened to learn about the stampede at Kamtanath Pahad Temple in Madhya Pradesh, in which a number of devotees, including women, lost their lives and many others were injured," Mukherjee said in a message.
"I understand relief and rescue operations are currently underway," he said in his message to Madhya Pradesh Governor Ram Naresh Yadav.
"I call upon the state government and other authorities to provide all possible aid to the bereaved families, who have lost their near and dear ones as well as medical assistance to the injured," the president said.
Ten pilgrims were killed and over 20 injured in a stampede at a temple in Satna district Monday. The stampede took place when the pilgrims were performing `parikrama` (circumambulation) of a hill near the temple.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part II
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part III
- Hafiz Saeed warns of jihad to free Pak rivers from India
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- Manohar Parrikar says Pampore attack an act of frustration; orders probe
- Virat Kohli: Homework was a 'big headache'
- Three more Indian athletes qualify for Rio Olympics
- 'Reprogrammed' bacteria eat carbon dioxide to produce sugars
- Government eliminates 1.6 crore bogus ration cards, to save Rs 10,000 crore