President condoles deaths in Madhya Pradesh stampede
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee Monday condoled the loss of lives in a stampede at a temple in Madhya Pradesh.
"I am extremely saddened to learn about the stampede at Kamtanath Pahad Temple in Madhya Pradesh, in which a number of devotees, including women, lost their lives and many others were injured," Mukherjee said in a message.
"I understand relief and rescue operations are currently underway," he said in his message to Madhya Pradesh Governor Ram Naresh Yadav.
"I call upon the state government and other authorities to provide all possible aid to the bereaved families, who have lost their near and dear ones as well as medical assistance to the injured," the president said.
Ten pilgrims were killed and over 20 injured in a stampede at a temple in Satna district Monday. The stampede took place when the pilgrims were performing `parikrama` (circumambulation) of a hill near the temple.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Goa GBSHSE SSC Class 10th Results 2016 to be declared today May 25, 2016 at 3 PM
- Uttarakhand board Class 12th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- 'Russia killed 28,000 militants in Syria, third of all IS forces'
- Thousands of migrants saved in 23 rescue operations off Libya
- Lashkar-e-Toiba carried out deadly 2007 Samjhauta Express blasts: NIA to submit this US intel report in court