Probe tiger deaths? “CBI has better things to do”
Jabalpur: The Madhya Pradesh High Court has dismissed a PIL seeking a CBI probe into tiger deaths inside Panna Tiger Reserve, saying the investigating agency has "many better things to do".
The court was hearing the plea by Bhopal-based NGO Prayatna requesting CBI inquiry into the alleged disappearance of tigers between 2007 and 2009 from the reserve, about 250 km from here.
The application cited recommendations made by the National Tiger Conservation Authority (NTCA) to the Madhya Pradesh government for handing over cases related to alleged disappearance of the big cats to the probe agency.
"This PIL seeks CBI investigation in this case into the alleged disappearance of some tigers from a forest sanctuary.
The CBI has many better things to do. The petition is dismissed," a bench of acting Chief Justice Sushil Harkauli and judge K K Trivedi wrote in their order on September 30.
The Panna Reserve, spread in about 542.67 sq km area, is the 22nd tiger reserve of the country and spreads over Panna and Chattarpur districts of the state.
According to an internal report by the Madhya Pradesh government, there was no tiger in the Panna Reserve in 2009 census carried out by the authorities there. The report says that there were about 20 tigers in 2006.
It cited an example of "fence eating the crop" and strongly recommended a CBI probe in the alleged disappearance of the striped cats.
About 19 cases of tigers poaching were noticed by the authorities in the Panna Reserve.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed