Pvt firm refutes allegation of NBA over Maheshwar
Bhopal: The Shree Maheshwar Hydel Power Corporation Wednesday refuted the allegation of Narmada Bachao Andolan (NBA) that villages in the vicinity of Maheshwar dam were submerged last year due to closure of gates.
In a statement issued here, the company said it had been granted permission to fill the dam by Union Ministry of Environment and Forest on the basis of factual reports.
The competent government agencies have categorically stated that there would be no submergence of any village, if the water in Maheshwar dam is filled up to 154 meters, the release said.
Rather, the Union government`s decision would act as a catalyst to complete the remaining works of the project on war footing so as to expedite the process of power generation from the project at the earliest, it said.
The company alleged that NBA, for its vested interest, had made every possible effort to delay completion of the Maheshwar project by putting up roadblocks in construction and rehabilitation of the affected villagers, thus leading to steep rise in the project prices and thereby depriving people of the region of power and water.
The NBA had yesterday demanded that the permission given to the company for filling the Maheshwar dam upto a height of 154 meters should be immediately withdrawn.
NBA leader Alok Agarwal had alleged that the company had illegally filled the dam because of which many houses and fields in various villages were submerged.
He had said that a protest rally against it would be held on May 13.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145