Rahul Gandhi moved at plight of soldier`s wife
Ranchi: The plight of Balamdin, wife of Albert Ekka, a soldier who died fighting in the 1971 Indo-Pak war, moved Congress leader Rahul Gandhi after he came to know that the five-acre plot of land allotted to his family by the government turned out to be disputed.
"We apprised him of our plight, told him about the disputed land, now in a court, and urged him to help find a job for me. We are very happy to meet Rahul Gandhi," said Bhisent, who was nine-months-old when his father Lance Naik Albert died while fighting Pak troops at Ganga Sagar.
Albert was posthumously awarded the Param Vir Chakra.
"He assured us to help in whatever way possible," Bhisent, who met Gandhi along with his mother here, said.
Over two decades ago, the government had allotted the land to the family in Gumla district as a mark of respect to the soldier`s sacrifice.
The land was, however, allotted without proper inquiry and later it was found out that it belonged to someone else.
Gandhi, who placed a wreath at the Bhagwan Birsa Munda Samadhisthal here this morning, left for Bokaro to finish with his two-day engagement in Jharkhand.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know