Rajapaksa visit: MDMK leader Vaiko, 700 supporters held
Bhopal: MDMK leader Vaiko and his around 700 supporters, who were protesting Sri Lanka President Mahinda Rajapaksa`s visit to Madhya Pradesh, were on Friday detained in Chhindwara district of Madhya Pradesh.
A day after his talks with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in New Delhi, Rajapaksa reached Sanchi to lay the foundation stone of Buddhist and Indic Studies University at Sanchi amid tight security arrangements.
In anticipation of protests by activists of the Marumalarchi Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (MDMK), the state government has put in place elaborate security arrangements for the visit of the Lankan president`s visit.
"We will not forgive BJP government in Madhya Pradesh. All the protesters came here and decided to get arrested," Vaiko told reporters here.
The MDMK is protesting against the conduct of Sri Lankan forces during the climactic phase of the war against the LTTE (Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam) in 2009 which killed and displaced thousands of Tamils in the island nation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister