Rajapaksa visit: MDMK leader Vaiko, 700 supporters held
Bhopal: MDMK leader Vaiko and his around 700 supporters, who were protesting Sri Lanka President Mahinda Rajapaksa`s visit to Madhya Pradesh, were on Friday detained in Chhindwara district of Madhya Pradesh.
A day after his talks with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in New Delhi, Rajapaksa reached Sanchi to lay the foundation stone of Buddhist and Indic Studies University at Sanchi amid tight security arrangements.
In anticipation of protests by activists of the Marumalarchi Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (MDMK), the state government has put in place elaborate security arrangements for the visit of the Lankan president`s visit.
"We will not forgive BJP government in Madhya Pradesh. All the protesters came here and decided to get arrested," Vaiko told reporters here.
The MDMK is protesting against the conduct of Sri Lankan forces during the climactic phase of the war against the LTTE (Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam) in 2009 which killed and displaced thousands of Tamils in the island nation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?