Rajapaksa visit: MDMK leader Vaiko, 700 supporters held
Bhopal: MDMK leader Vaiko and his around 700 supporters, who were protesting Sri Lanka President Mahinda Rajapaksa`s visit to Madhya Pradesh, were on Friday detained in Chhindwara district of Madhya Pradesh.
A day after his talks with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in New Delhi, Rajapaksa reached Sanchi to lay the foundation stone of Buddhist and Indic Studies University at Sanchi amid tight security arrangements.
In anticipation of protests by activists of the Marumalarchi Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (MDMK), the state government has put in place elaborate security arrangements for the visit of the Lankan president`s visit.
"We will not forgive BJP government in Madhya Pradesh. All the protesters came here and decided to get arrested," Vaiko told reporters here.
The MDMK is protesting against the conduct of Sri Lankan forces during the climactic phase of the war against the LTTE (Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam) in 2009 which killed and displaced thousands of Tamils in the island nation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state