Rajapaksa visit: MDMK leader Vaiko, 700 supporters held
Bhopal: MDMK leader Vaiko and his around 700 supporters, who were protesting Sri Lanka President Mahinda Rajapaksa`s visit to Madhya Pradesh, were on Friday detained in Chhindwara district of Madhya Pradesh.
A day after his talks with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in New Delhi, Rajapaksa reached Sanchi to lay the foundation stone of Buddhist and Indic Studies University at Sanchi amid tight security arrangements.
In anticipation of protests by activists of the Marumalarchi Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (MDMK), the state government has put in place elaborate security arrangements for the visit of the Lankan president`s visit.
"We will not forgive BJP government in Madhya Pradesh. All the protesters came here and decided to get arrested," Vaiko told reporters here.
The MDMK is protesting against the conduct of Sri Lankan forces during the climactic phase of the war against the LTTE (Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam) in 2009 which killed and displaced thousands of Tamils in the island nation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?
- Met Dawood Ibrahim in London, he wanted to return to India: Ram Jethmalani