Rajapaksa visit: MDMK’s Vaiko arrested
Bhopal: MDMK general secretary Vaiko was on Friday arrested when he and nearly 750 of his supporters tried to move from Gadchicholi to Sanchi to protest Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa`s visit.
Police said they were arrested for disrupting peace and would be released soon.
"Vaiko has been arrested along with nearly 750 supporters. They have been booked under 151 of CrPC (disrupting peace)," Inspector General (Jabalpur Range) Madhu Kumar said.
Vaiko along with his hundred of supporters were protesting in Gadchicholi near Pandhurna at the Madhya Pradesh-Maharashtra border against Rajapaksa`s visit and alleging the Sri Lankan leader of atrocities against Tamils in the island nation.
"Vaiko and his supporters would be released by late evening," Kumar said.
Rajapaksa today laid the foundation stone for Sanchi University of Buddhist and Indic Studies, about 45 km from here. Besides him, Bhutan Prime Minister Jigme Y Thinley along with Madhya Pradesh Governor Ram Naresh Yadav and Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan were also present during the ceremony.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH