Rajapaksa visit: MDMK’s Vaiko arrested
Bhopal: MDMK general secretary Vaiko was on Friday arrested when he and nearly 750 of his supporters tried to move from Gadchicholi to Sanchi to protest Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa`s visit.
Police said they were arrested for disrupting peace and would be released soon.
"Vaiko has been arrested along with nearly 750 supporters. They have been booked under 151 of CrPC (disrupting peace)," Inspector General (Jabalpur Range) Madhu Kumar said.
Vaiko along with his hundred of supporters were protesting in Gadchicholi near Pandhurna at the Madhya Pradesh-Maharashtra border against Rajapaksa`s visit and alleging the Sri Lankan leader of atrocities against Tamils in the island nation.
"Vaiko and his supporters would be released by late evening," Kumar said.
Rajapaksa today laid the foundation stone for Sanchi University of Buddhist and Indic Studies, about 45 km from here. Besides him, Bhutan Prime Minister Jigme Y Thinley along with Madhya Pradesh Governor Ram Naresh Yadav and Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan were also present during the ceremony.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- PMO seeks report on Air India flights delayed by Fadnavis, Rijiju; Aviation Minister apologises
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army