Rajapaksa visit: MDMK’s Vaiko arrested
Bhopal: MDMK general secretary Vaiko was on Friday arrested when he and nearly 750 of his supporters tried to move from Gadchicholi to Sanchi to protest Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa`s visit.
Police said they were arrested for disrupting peace and would be released soon.
"Vaiko has been arrested along with nearly 750 supporters. They have been booked under 151 of CrPC (disrupting peace)," Inspector General (Jabalpur Range) Madhu Kumar said.
Vaiko along with his hundred of supporters were protesting in Gadchicholi near Pandhurna at the Madhya Pradesh-Maharashtra border against Rajapaksa`s visit and alleging the Sri Lankan leader of atrocities against Tamils in the island nation.
"Vaiko and his supporters would be released by late evening," Kumar said.
Rajapaksa today laid the foundation stone for Sanchi University of Buddhist and Indic Studies, about 45 km from here. Besides him, Bhutan Prime Minister Jigme Y Thinley along with Madhya Pradesh Governor Ram Naresh Yadav and Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan were also present during the ceremony.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh addresses Parliament over Kashmir violence
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh addresses Parliament over Kashmir violence – Part II
- I am a Goddess for the weaker section which is making people angry: Mayawati
- Sacked BJP leader Dayashankar to be arrested soon for controversial remark on Mayawati
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- This manatee is interested in paddleboarding – Watch video!
- Oscar Pistorius: Prosecutors seek longer sentence for tainted Paralympian
- 17.93 lakh candidates trained under PMKVY as on July 18
- NASA's new institute to explore ways to protect astronauts
- Finally! WhatsApp adds call back and voicemail features for Android