Rajapaksa visit: MDMK’s Vaiko arrested
Bhopal: MDMK general secretary Vaiko was on Friday arrested when he and nearly 750 of his supporters tried to move from Gadchicholi to Sanchi to protest Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa`s visit.
Police said they were arrested for disrupting peace and would be released soon.
"Vaiko has been arrested along with nearly 750 supporters. They have been booked under 151 of CrPC (disrupting peace)," Inspector General (Jabalpur Range) Madhu Kumar said.
Vaiko along with his hundred of supporters were protesting in Gadchicholi near Pandhurna at the Madhya Pradesh-Maharashtra border against Rajapaksa`s visit and alleging the Sri Lankan leader of atrocities against Tamils in the island nation.
"Vaiko and his supporters would be released by late evening," Kumar said.
Rajapaksa today laid the foundation stone for Sanchi University of Buddhist and Indic Studies, about 45 km from here. Besides him, Bhutan Prime Minister Jigme Y Thinley along with Madhya Pradesh Governor Ram Naresh Yadav and Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan were also present during the ceremony.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video