Rape charge against Asaram could be politically motivated: Minister
Indore: Madhya Pradesh Industries Minister Kailash Vijaywargia on Saturday alleged the charge of sexual assault against Asaram Bapu could be "politically motivated" as he has been critical of top Congress leadership.
"Asaram is a saint. He openly speaks against Congress president Sonia Gandhi and vice president Rahul Gandhi...It might be possible that the charges against him is a part of a political conspiracy by Congress," Vijaywargiya told reporters here.
The self-styled godman, who was recently booked for alleged sexual assault of a 16-year-old girl in his ashram Jodhpur, arrived here today for spending time in "solitude".
"We have full sympathies with the girl but it should be probed whether allegations against Asaram are part of any political conspiracy or not," the minister said.
He said no one has the right to tarnish Asaram`s image until the latter is proved guilty.
On rumours that BJP is providing asylum to Asaram, Vijaywargia said, "In Madhya Pradesh, the rule of law prevails and the state would extend full support to any state`s police if required."
Earlier Yog Vedant Samiti`s Madhya Pradesh unit media in-charge, J P Moolchandani confirmed, that the spiritual guru has arrived in the city to "spend time in solitude".
"However, he has no programme to meet anyone including media," he said.
BJP leader Uma Bharti on Thursday had also said the rape charge against Asaram could be "politically motivated" one as he had been critical of top Congress leadership.
Asaram was booked by Delhi Police on Tuesday for allegedly sexually assaulting the minor girl in a Jodhpur Ashram recently.
Spokesperson of Asaram Bapu`s Ashram has already denied the charge.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- First Minister Nicola Sturgeon plans EU future for Scotland after Brexit
- Seven hospitalized in California stabbing at neo-Nazi rally
- I respect martyrdom but you're trained to kill enemy, not to die - Manohar Parrikar told jawans
- Pampore attack: Did CRPF ignore specific intelligence input from Jammu and Kashmir Police?
- Euro 2016: Belgium beat Hungary 4-0 to reach quarterfinal as Yannick Carrasco scores final goal