Rape charge against Asaram could be politically motivated: Minister
Indore: Madhya Pradesh Industries Minister Kailash Vijaywargia on Saturday alleged the charge of sexual assault against Asaram Bapu could be "politically motivated" as he has been critical of top Congress leadership.
"Asaram is a saint. He openly speaks against Congress president Sonia Gandhi and vice president Rahul Gandhi...It might be possible that the charges against him is a part of a political conspiracy by Congress," Vijaywargiya told reporters here.
The self-styled godman, who was recently booked for alleged sexual assault of a 16-year-old girl in his ashram Jodhpur, arrived here today for spending time in "solitude".
"We have full sympathies with the girl but it should be probed whether allegations against Asaram are part of any political conspiracy or not," the minister said.
He said no one has the right to tarnish Asaram`s image until the latter is proved guilty.
On rumours that BJP is providing asylum to Asaram, Vijaywargia said, "In Madhya Pradesh, the rule of law prevails and the state would extend full support to any state`s police if required."
Earlier Yog Vedant Samiti`s Madhya Pradesh unit media in-charge, J P Moolchandani confirmed, that the spiritual guru has arrived in the city to "spend time in solitude".
"However, he has no programme to meet anyone including media," he said.
BJP leader Uma Bharti on Thursday had also said the rape charge against Asaram could be "politically motivated" one as he had been critical of top Congress leadership.
Asaram was booked by Delhi Police on Tuesday for allegedly sexually assaulting the minor girl in a Jodhpur Ashram recently.
Spokesperson of Asaram Bapu`s Ashram has already denied the charge.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over SP leader Azam Khan's controversial remark on Muslim population
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowance Committee likely to submit report on 20 February
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO