Release Sarabjit on Independence Day, family appeals Zardari
Indore: Launching a signature campaign for the release of Sarabjit Singh, jailed in Pakistan for over two decades, his family members on Monday made an appeal to Pakistani authorities to free him and other Indian prisoners tomorrow, when the neighboring country celebrates its Independent Day.
Sarabjit`s sister Dalbir Kaur told reporters here that Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari should show magnanimity by releasing her brother.
"He should show `bada dil` (large heart)," she said.
The 49-year-old Sarabjit was sentenced to death for alleged involvement in a string of bombing in Pakistan in 1990.
It was very unfortunate that Pakistan announced the decision to release in June this year, and then did a U-turn and released another prisoner (Surjit Singh), she said.
If former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi and Pakistan`s former Prime Minister Benzir Bhutto had been alive, Sarabjit would have been freed by now, she said.
But giving credit to Indian government, she said it had made lot of efforts, and even (Congress leader) Rahul Gandhi had assured her that Sarabjit would be released.
"I am sure Zardari would not let any harm come to Sarabjit and would release him, notwithstanding pressure from hardliners. It is a must for building good relations between the two countries," she said.
Sarabjit`s daughters Shapan and Poonam were also present on this occasion.
The campaign aims to collect one lakh signatures, to be submitted to Pakistan High Commission in Delhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?