Release Sarabjit on Independence Day, family appeals Zardari
Indore: Launching a signature campaign for the release of Sarabjit Singh, jailed in Pakistan for over two decades, his family members on Monday made an appeal to Pakistani authorities to free him and other Indian prisoners tomorrow, when the neighboring country celebrates its Independent Day.
Sarabjit`s sister Dalbir Kaur told reporters here that Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari should show magnanimity by releasing her brother.
"He should show `bada dil` (large heart)," she said.
The 49-year-old Sarabjit was sentenced to death for alleged involvement in a string of bombing in Pakistan in 1990.
It was very unfortunate that Pakistan announced the decision to release in June this year, and then did a U-turn and released another prisoner (Surjit Singh), she said.
If former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi and Pakistan`s former Prime Minister Benzir Bhutto had been alive, Sarabjit would have been freed by now, she said.
But giving credit to Indian government, she said it had made lot of efforts, and even (Congress leader) Rahul Gandhi had assured her that Sarabjit would be released.
"I am sure Zardari would not let any harm come to Sarabjit and would release him, notwithstanding pressure from hardliners. It is a must for building good relations between the two countries," she said.
Sarabjit`s daughters Shapan and Poonam were also present on this occasion.
The campaign aims to collect one lakh signatures, to be submitted to Pakistan High Commission in Delhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials
- India vs Australia: Ravindra Jadeja clobbers Steve O'Keefe, Nathan Lyon for sixes — VIDEO