Report sought into under trial getting pregnant in MP jail
Indore: Taking serious cognisance of a 35-year-old woman under trial allegedly getting pregnant in Jhabua jail, the Madhya Pradesh State Women`s Commission on Monday issued notice to the jail administration asking for a detailed report.
Sunita (name changed) has been undergoing trial in a Jhabua court since last ten months on charge of murdering her mother-in-law. She is currently undergoing treatment at the psychiatric ward of Indore`s M Y Hospital.
The women commission member Snehlata Upadhyaya, who met Sunita at the hospital today, told reporters that "Sunita is in her sixth week of pregnancy and is suffering from deep depression".
"It might be possible that she is threatened by some people to remain silent on the issue as she is not talking to anyone and is communicating only through gestures," Upadhyaya said, adding conclusion can not be drawn at this juncture if Sunita became pregnant after she was raped in Jhabua jail.
"If it is proved during the probe that she became pregnant following rape inside the prison then it is a very serious issue," she said.
The Women Commission has sought detailed reports from the jail administration and M Y Hospital Authority in this regard. "The guilty will be brought to book on the basis of the reports," she said.
Head of Psychiatric Department of M Y Hospital Dr Ramgulam Razdan said that Sunita was first brought to the hospital for mental investigation on October 8. "During the investigation it was found on October 20 that the woman was pregnant".
He said doctors at the hospital are closely monitoring the woman`s health and trying to ascertain whether she has any mental condition.
Meanwhile, M Y Hospital`s Superintendent Dr P S Thakur said that a medical board is constituted for conducting a detailed probe in the case.
The board will submit its report to the administration within two days, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- 48 hours on, Indian Air Force's AN 32 still untraceable; families of missing officials pray for good news
- WhatsApp chat between Hrithik Roshan and his mother will give you fitness goals! View inside
- Producer's Guild hold emergency meet after 'Dishoom' leak threat
- WATCH: HISTORIC! Neeraj Chopra sets U-20 Javelin record, becomes first Indian world champion in athletics
- REVEALED: Why Hindu families in Aligarh want to sell their houses, leave area