`Residents near gas tragedy site made to drink unsafe water`
Bhopal: Organisations working for the welfare of survivors of the 1984 Bhopal gas tragedy have alleged that due to the Madhya Pradesh government`s gross neglect, people living around the abandoned Union Carbide factory, are forced to consume contaminated water.
"Thousands of residents are forced to drink and cook with the ground water that is contaminated by the hazardous wastes of the Union Carbide factory. This is criminal negligence on part of the Madhya Pradesh government," Bhopal Group for Information and Action (BGIA) convener Satinath Sarangi told reporters here on Tuesday.
Apart from BGIA, four other organisations-- Bhopal Gas Peedit Nirashrit Pension Bhogi Sangharsh Morcha, Bhopal Gas Peedit Mahila Stationery Karmachari Sangh, Bhopal Gas Peedit Mahila Purush Sangharsh Morcha, Children against Carbide, have also targeted the government on this issue.
"Despite the May 2004 Supreme Court order and the intervention by its Monitoring Committee, at least 800 families are being denied piped clean drinking water," Sarangi claimed.
Sarangi, who is also a member of the Monitoring Committee, said that on February 19 this year, panel chairman Justice KK Lahoti had given clear directions that the work of providing clean drinking water to all these families has to be completed by July 30.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof