`Residents near gas tragedy site made to drink unsafe water`
Bhopal: Organisations working for the welfare of survivors of the 1984 Bhopal gas tragedy have alleged that due to the Madhya Pradesh government`s gross neglect, people living around the abandoned Union Carbide factory, are forced to consume contaminated water.
"Thousands of residents are forced to drink and cook with the ground water that is contaminated by the hazardous wastes of the Union Carbide factory. This is criminal negligence on part of the Madhya Pradesh government," Bhopal Group for Information and Action (BGIA) convener Satinath Sarangi told reporters here on Tuesday.
Apart from BGIA, four other organisations-- Bhopal Gas Peedit Nirashrit Pension Bhogi Sangharsh Morcha, Bhopal Gas Peedit Mahila Stationery Karmachari Sangh, Bhopal Gas Peedit Mahila Purush Sangharsh Morcha, Children against Carbide, have also targeted the government on this issue.
"Despite the May 2004 Supreme Court order and the intervention by its Monitoring Committee, at least 800 families are being denied piped clean drinking water," Sarangi claimed.
Sarangi, who is also a member of the Monitoring Committee, said that on February 19 this year, panel chairman Justice KK Lahoti had given clear directions that the work of providing clean drinking water to all these families has to be completed by July 30.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened