Sales tax official held for taking Rs 2 lakh bribe in MP
Bhopal: A senior sales tax official was caught while allegedly accepting a bribe of Rs two lakh here, Lokayukta sources said on Sunday.
Sales Tax Deputy Commissioner Pradeep Kumar Singh was caught by the state Lokayukta police here yesterday while he was taking Rs two lakh as bribe at his office in Bittan market area here from three transporters for uninterrupted operations of their trucks, sources said.
Lokayukta police had laid a trap to nab Singh on a complaint lodged by the Prantiya Welfare Transporters Association.
He had allegedly demanded Rs four lakh from six transporters in two instalments of Rs two lakh each for uninterrupted operations of their vehicles, they said adding that Singh was harassing the complainants and often used to stop their trucks from plying.
He was arrested by Lokayukta police on charges of graft but later released on bail, they said.
A case under sections of Prevention of Corruption Act has been registered against the accused, sources added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what