Sales tax official held for taking Rs 2 lakh bribe in MP
Bhopal: A senior sales tax official was caught while allegedly accepting a bribe of Rs two lakh here, Lokayukta sources said on Sunday.
Sales Tax Deputy Commissioner Pradeep Kumar Singh was caught by the state Lokayukta police here yesterday while he was taking Rs two lakh as bribe at his office in Bittan market area here from three transporters for uninterrupted operations of their trucks, sources said.
Lokayukta police had laid a trap to nab Singh on a complaint lodged by the Prantiya Welfare Transporters Association.
He had allegedly demanded Rs four lakh from six transporters in two instalments of Rs two lakh each for uninterrupted operations of their vehicles, they said adding that Singh was harassing the complainants and often used to stop their trucks from plying.
He was arrested by Lokayukta police on charges of graft but later released on bail, they said.
A case under sections of Prevention of Corruption Act has been registered against the accused, sources added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31