Samjhauta case: NIA, Centre asked to reply on man`s whereabouts
Indore: The Madhya Pradesh High Court on Friday issued showcause notices to the central and state governments and the National Investigation Agency (NIA) to produce before it Sudeep Upadhyay whose name had cropped up in the 2007 Samjhauta Express blast case.
Justices SS Kemkar and Prakash Srivastava of the High Court`s Indore Bench were hearing a habeas corpus petition filed by Sudeep`s brother Pradeep Upadhya.
Habeas corpus is a writ which requires a person to be produced before a court.
"The bench asked the state government, union government and NIA to file reply within seven days", said the petitioner`s lawyer Anil Ojha.
Sudeep, an accused in a 2006 murder case, was allegedly apprehended by Ujjain Police from Sanver in Indore district on December 19 and kept in Madhav Nagar police station in Ujjain, without knowledge of his family members.
According to police sources, Sudeep`s name was revealed by Dashrath Choudhary alias Samunder Singh, an alleged key accused in the 2007 Samjhauta blast case. Singh was arrested by NIA from Nagda in Ujjain district on December 15.
A huge explosion had occurred in Samjhauta Express near Panipat in Haryana on February 18, 2007 and the subsequent fire in the coaches had resulted in the loss of 68 lives and injuries to 12 train passengers, including women and children.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical