Samjhauta case: NIA, Centre asked to reply on man`s whereabouts
Indore: The Madhya Pradesh High Court on Friday issued showcause notices to the central and state governments and the National Investigation Agency (NIA) to produce before it Sudeep Upadhyay whose name had cropped up in the 2007 Samjhauta Express blast case.
Justices SS Kemkar and Prakash Srivastava of the High Court`s Indore Bench were hearing a habeas corpus petition filed by Sudeep`s brother Pradeep Upadhya.
Habeas corpus is a writ which requires a person to be produced before a court.
"The bench asked the state government, union government and NIA to file reply within seven days", said the petitioner`s lawyer Anil Ojha.
Sudeep, an accused in a 2006 murder case, was allegedly apprehended by Ujjain Police from Sanver in Indore district on December 19 and kept in Madhav Nagar police station in Ujjain, without knowledge of his family members.
According to police sources, Sudeep`s name was revealed by Dashrath Choudhary alias Samunder Singh, an alleged key accused in the 2007 Samjhauta blast case. Singh was arrested by NIA from Nagda in Ujjain district on December 15.
A huge explosion had occurred in Samjhauta Express near Panipat in Haryana on February 18, 2007 and the subsequent fire in the coaches had resulted in the loss of 68 lives and injuries to 12 train passengers, including women and children.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part II
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part III
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part IV
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Scientists reconstruct detailed 3D eyes from single photo
- Santander pips BBVA: Eurozone`s largest bank becomes La Liga's newest sponsors
- US sanctions target Assad regime's arms, finance networks
- Bastille Day killer had help preparing Nice attack, says Paris prosecutor
- Another milestone for captain marvellous: Virat Kohli completes 3000 Test runs