Senior Congress leader Narayan Prasad Shukla passes away
Indore: Senior Congress leader and former deputy Speaker of Madhya Pradesh Legislative Assembly Narayan Prasad Shukla passed away here on Sunday after brief illness.
He was 83.
Shukla was undergoing treatment in a private hospital for pneumonia for the last 10 days and passed away in the morning hours, his son Pradeep Shukla said.
His last rites will be performed tomorrow, he said.
Shukla took active part in student politics when he was studying in Holkar Science College. Before entering politics, he had worked as a journalist in various dailies.
Shukla was elected an MLA from Indore-four constituency for the first time in 1972 and on July 28 same year, he was elected as the Deputy Speaker.
Shukla served on the post till January 7, 1976.
Later, he was inducted into former Chief Minister Shyama Charan Shukla`s Cabinet on January 8, 1976 as Minister of State.
Shukla had also served as the mayor and deputy mayor of the Indore Municipal Corporation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- Facebook doesn't pose threat: YouTube