Senior Congress leader Narayan Prasad Shukla passes away
Indore: Senior Congress leader and former deputy Speaker of Madhya Pradesh Legislative Assembly Narayan Prasad Shukla passed away here on Sunday after brief illness.
He was 83.
Shukla was undergoing treatment in a private hospital for pneumonia for the last 10 days and passed away in the morning hours, his son Pradeep Shukla said.
His last rites will be performed tomorrow, he said.
Shukla took active part in student politics when he was studying in Holkar Science College. Before entering politics, he had worked as a journalist in various dailies.
Shukla was elected an MLA from Indore-four constituency for the first time in 1972 and on July 28 same year, he was elected as the Deputy Speaker.
Shukla served on the post till January 7, 1976.
Later, he was inducted into former Chief Minister Shyama Charan Shukla`s Cabinet on January 8, 1976 as Minister of State.
Shukla had also served as the mayor and deputy mayor of the Indore Municipal Corporation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal