Senior Congress leader Narayan Prasad Shukla passes away
Indore: Senior Congress leader and former deputy Speaker of Madhya Pradesh Legislative Assembly Narayan Prasad Shukla passed away here on Sunday after brief illness.
He was 83.
Shukla was undergoing treatment in a private hospital for pneumonia for the last 10 days and passed away in the morning hours, his son Pradeep Shukla said.
His last rites will be performed tomorrow, he said.
Shukla took active part in student politics when he was studying in Holkar Science College. Before entering politics, he had worked as a journalist in various dailies.
Shukla was elected an MLA from Indore-four constituency for the first time in 1972 and on July 28 same year, he was elected as the Deputy Speaker.
Shukla served on the post till January 7, 1976.
Later, he was inducted into former Chief Minister Shyama Charan Shukla`s Cabinet on January 8, 1976 as Minister of State.
Shukla had also served as the mayor and deputy mayor of the Indore Municipal Corporation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3