Sessions court cancels bail of SIMI activist
Bhopal: A sessions court here on Monday
cancelled the conditional bail granted earlier to a Students
Islamic Movement of India (SIMI) activist by a lower court in
a case of treason.
Munir Deshmukh was granted conditional bail in the case
of treason by the Judicial Magistrate First Class (JMFC) Ganga
Charan Dube on July 14 against which the state government
filed a revision petition in the court of Additional Sessions
Judge M P Tiwari.
The judge, while cancelling the order of the lower court,
observed that it should have given a serious consideration to
the fact that the accused was facing a charge of treason.
The sessions court also considered a fact presented by
Munir`s lawyer in the lower court that the High Court had
opined in a case that if an accused remained in the jail for
60 days then he should be given the benefit of bail but in
Munir`s case this facility was extended only on the 59th day
of July 14.
The government also brought to the notice of the sessions
court that it has filed an application seeking transfer of the
case from JMFC court and despite knowing about it the court
granted Munir a bail.
On the basis of above grounds, the sessions court found
that the bail granted by the lower court was not correct and
therefore cancelled it.
A case of treason was filed against Munir in September
2001 by Habibganj police following recovery of objectionable
documents from his Shahpura residence in Bhopal.
Absconding since then Munir was arrested in December
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city