Seven SIMI members escape from Madhya Pradesh prison, one nabbed
Zee Media Bureau
Bhopal: In a major embarrassment for prison authorities, seven prisoners escaped from Madhya Pradesh`s Khandwa jail in the wee hours Tuesday.
According to reports, the seven undertrial prisoners, including two who had shot dead three persons in a broad daylight attack some years ago, were members of terror outfit Students Islamic Movement of India (SIMI).
The police have claimed to have nabbed one of them.
The seven broke the wall of the toilet to escape the jail and in the process, attacked two constables -- Lokesh Hirve and Suro Tiwari -- with knives.
The police have now declared a high alert in Khandwa and adjoining areas.
The injured constables have been admitted to hospital.
After receiving information about the incident, two jawans of Cheetah force also tried to stop the accused from fleeing but could not do so despite an exchange of fire with them, sources said.
The suspected SIMI activists snatched the wireless sets and loaded rifles of both the Cheetah jawans too, they said.
Confirming the news, ADG Prisons CV Muniraju said that seven terrorists broke the wall of a toilet and escaped around 3-4 am.
Promising to take an action against the erring officials, Madhya Pradesh Home Minister Uma Shankar Gupta said the authorities would probe as to why this negligence happened.
One terrorist has been arrested, Gupta said, adding the fact that others are roaming freely is dangerous for the state.
Commenting on the jailbreak, Congress leader Satyavrat Chaturvedi said that the incident happened due to security lapses and an action must be taken against those responsible for it.
The prisoners who fled from jail are -- Amjad, Aslam, Zakir, Mehboob (all from Khandwa), Ejazuddin (of Narsinh Yard, Kareli), Abu Faizal (Juhu), Aabid Mirza (of Oont Kuwan, Hatampura, Khandwa), Superintendent of Police Manoj Sharma said.
However, one of them, Aabid Mirza, was later caught from Sarvodaya Colony here, Sharma said, adding that the rest are absconding.
The Kotwali police received information about the whole episode around 5:15 AM and efforts were on to nab remaining six accused by forming 15 police teams, he said.
Taking serious note of the whole episode, Madhya Pradesh Jail Minister Antar Singh Arya has ordered a high-level probe into it.
The minister told a news agency at his Sendhwa residence that he has given orders to Principal Secretary, Jails, to immediately reach Khandwa.
Arya said that action would be taken against the guilty jail personnel after the probe was completed.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- Sony Xperia X gets a price cut of whopping Rs 14,000