Shehla murder: Tarun Vijay to be questioned today
Bhopal: Madhya Pradesh police, Friday, is expected to question Bhartiya Janata Party (BJP) Member of Parliament Tarun Vijay in connection with the murder of RTI activist Shehla Masood.
As per reports, Vijay had talked on phone with Shehla on August 16, 2011, hours before she was shot dead by unknown assailant outside her Koh-e-Fiza residence here. However, Tarun Vijay has denied any involvement in the murder.
A police team from the state is anytime soon expected to visit New Delhi in this regard.
However, Bhopal Range IG Vijay Yadav yesterday said, "Although it has been decided to question Tarun Vijay in connection with Shehla`s murder, no date has been fixed for the visit of the police team to New Delhi.”
Masood was shot at when she was in her car in front of her residence in the posh Koh-e-Fiza locality in Bhopal on August 16 when she was just about to head to a rally that was part of Anna Hazare`s campaign against corruption.
Addressing the reporters, on Thursday, the BJP MP said: “We will cooperate in every way with investigators in the probe”, adding that Shehla was a very “brave activist” and justice would be delivered in the case.
“We will provide all information to the investigating agencies and continue fighting till the culprits are booked and hanged.”
He also urged friends and colleagues of Shehla to pass on whatever information they have to investigation agencies.
“I spoke to Shehla on August 16 regarding Anna’s movement with which she was associated. It was really shocking and disturbing to hear about her murder; she was a very good friend of mine,” Vijay said.
"I think that the whole things got politicised. We stand by the family of Shehla and every right thinking Indian will stand by them."
Shehla headed the Madhya Pradesh chapter of Anna Hazare’s India Against Corruption movement and had, days before her murder, pledged to expose widespread corruption and that she had several vital documents to back her claims.
She was also a green activist and had fought for the Save Tiger project in Madhya Pradesh.
Sultan Masood, the father of Shehla, has claimed that influential people were behind the murder of her daughter and that he did not expect justice for his daughter and as a person belonging to the "lower-middle class" he was powerless to demand an effective probe.
He also alleged that in January this year, Shehla had filed a complaint with the Lokayukta that she feared threat to her life.
Meanwhile, the Congress has demanded that the MP state government order a CBI probe into the sensational murder.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state