Shehla murder: Tarun Vijay to be questioned today
Bhopal: Madhya Pradesh police, Friday, is expected to question Bhartiya Janata Party (BJP) Member of Parliament Tarun Vijay in connection with the murder of RTI activist Shehla Masood.
As per reports, Vijay had talked on phone with Shehla on August 16, 2011, hours before she was shot dead by unknown assailant outside her Koh-e-Fiza residence here. However, Tarun Vijay has denied any involvement in the murder.
A police team from the state is anytime soon expected to visit New Delhi in this regard.
However, Bhopal Range IG Vijay Yadav yesterday said, "Although it has been decided to question Tarun Vijay in connection with Shehla`s murder, no date has been fixed for the visit of the police team to New Delhi.”
Masood was shot at when she was in her car in front of her residence in the posh Koh-e-Fiza locality in Bhopal on August 16 when she was just about to head to a rally that was part of Anna Hazare`s campaign against corruption.
Addressing the reporters, on Thursday, the BJP MP said: “We will cooperate in every way with investigators in the probe”, adding that Shehla was a very “brave activist” and justice would be delivered in the case.
“We will provide all information to the investigating agencies and continue fighting till the culprits are booked and hanged.”
He also urged friends and colleagues of Shehla to pass on whatever information they have to investigation agencies.
“I spoke to Shehla on August 16 regarding Anna’s movement with which she was associated. It was really shocking and disturbing to hear about her murder; she was a very good friend of mine,” Vijay said.
"I think that the whole things got politicised. We stand by the family of Shehla and every right thinking Indian will stand by them."
Shehla headed the Madhya Pradesh chapter of Anna Hazare’s India Against Corruption movement and had, days before her murder, pledged to expose widespread corruption and that she had several vital documents to back her claims.
She was also a green activist and had fought for the Save Tiger project in Madhya Pradesh.
Sultan Masood, the father of Shehla, has claimed that influential people were behind the murder of her daughter and that he did not expect justice for his daughter and as a person belonging to the "lower-middle class" he was powerless to demand an effective probe.
He also alleged that in January this year, Shehla had filed a complaint with the Lokayukta that she feared threat to her life.
Meanwhile, the Congress has demanded that the MP state government order a CBI probe into the sensational murder.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister