Shivraj Chouhan lauds Sanjay Gandhi`s sterilisation programme
Bhopal: Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj
Singh Chouhan has lauded Sanjay Gandhi`s controversial
compulsory sterlization programme which was launched in the
70s a bid to control population growth in the country.
"After the Emergency leaders don`t even talk about
population control. Quite often I remember Sanjay Gandhi and I
think that the campaign that he started it was certainly
for the good of the public," said Chauhan, a senior BJP
Chouhan made a reference to Sanjay`s programme at a
function near here yesterday when he said that before
malnutrition is contained steps should be taken to stabilize
family planning methods in the state.
He said it appears that efforts made to control
malnutrition in the past did not have the desired success.
Chouhan admitted that malnutrition was a very big problem
in Madhya Pradesh.
Sanjay Gandhi had initiated the programme in the 1970s
whereby police and government officials were asked to forcibly
perform vasectomies on men and also sterilise some women.
The programme was made part of the government`s family
planning initiative and was supposed to target only men with
two children and more but several unmarried men were also
reportedly sterilised to meet targets.
Chouhan went on to say that after Emergency if Congress
lost the Lok Sabha polls, family planning was not the reason
for it and that other reasons could be there. He however did
BJP`s National Spokesperson Tarun Vijay said he did not
think that Chouhan did not mean to laud Sanjay`s sterilisation
programme."I think this is wrong information," he said.
According to Vijay, Chouhans was only focussing on how
the population of MP was increasing.
"In fact, the population rate increase is the highest in
MP in whole of the country. We must control the population,"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today