Sri Lanka should treat Tamils with equality: MP CM to Rajapaksa
Bhopal: In the backdrop of protests against President Mahinda Rajapaksa`s visit to Madhya Pradesh, Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan on Friday said it was expected from Sri Lanka to treat Tamils with equality and Colombo should highlight steps taken by it in this direction to clear doubts in the minds of people of both the nations.
Stressing on strong and cordial relations between India and Sri Lanka, Chouhan said that "it was expected from the island nation to treat Tamils with equality and the President should highlight the work being undertaken by his government in this regard" during a brief interaction with Rajapaksa in the State Hangar, official sources said.
"This will help in clearing all doubts on the minds of the people of the two nations," Chouhan said.
Rajapaksa arrived in Madhya Pradesh to lay the foundation stone for the Sanchi University of Buddhist and Indic studies amid protest by MDMK with its leader Vaiko along with his supporters being arrested as they tried to move from Gadchicholi to Sanchi to protest the Sri Lankan President`s visit.
The Sri Lankan President also agreed to launch a flight between Bhopal and Colombo thrice a week.
The Chief Minister also told the visiting President that the state administration is willing to help Sri Lanka if they decide to constructs a temple where according to mythological stories Goddess Sitaji had given `Agni Pariksha`.
In case a temple is constructed at that place then this place will also be included in the Mukhya Mantri Teerth Darshan scheme for the senior citizens of the state.
The Sri Lankan President also gave approval for setting up a study centre at the Sanchi Buddhist University campus in Sanchi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre