Stampede at Madhya Pradesh temple, three killed
Sehore: Three women were killed and 35 others injured when a stampede broke out early Saturday at the Salkanpur Devi Temple in Sehore district of Madhya Pradesh.
At around 4.30 AM, a few women suddenly slipped and fell on the staircase leading to the temple, situated atop the Vindhyachal mountain range, about 120 km from Sehore district headquarters, eyewitnesses said.
Nearly four lakh devotees had gathered in the temple`s vicinity during the ongoing Navratri festival to offer prayers.
However, police claimed that it was not a stampede.
The deceased were identified as - Bhuria Bai (35), Rani (15) and Yashoda (35), police said.
Among the injured, six persons were admitted to a hospital in Bhopal, 10 in Hoshangabad and the others in Rehti government hospital of Sehore district.
Meanwhile, Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan announced an ex-gratia of Rs two lakh each to the kin of the deceased and Rs 25,000 each to the injured people.
Since the temple is situated on a hilltop, the devotees reach there either through stairs, by road or by a ropeway.
As the ropeway was closed, the devotees could reach the temple only by road and stairs, sources said.
The temple witnesses a huge rush of devotees during the Navratri festival.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- See pic: Call for further study after discovery of baboon-like creature on Mars!
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- Preity Zinta to tie the knot this Valentine?