Stampede at Madhya Pradesh temple, three killed
Sehore: Three women were killed and 35 others injured when a stampede broke out early Saturday at the Salkanpur Devi Temple in Sehore district of Madhya Pradesh.
At around 4.30 AM, a few women suddenly slipped and fell on the staircase leading to the temple, situated atop the Vindhyachal mountain range, about 120 km from Sehore district headquarters, eyewitnesses said.
Nearly four lakh devotees had gathered in the temple`s vicinity during the ongoing Navratri festival to offer prayers.
However, police claimed that it was not a stampede.
The deceased were identified as - Bhuria Bai (35), Rani (15) and Yashoda (35), police said.
Among the injured, six persons were admitted to a hospital in Bhopal, 10 in Hoshangabad and the others in Rehti government hospital of Sehore district.
Meanwhile, Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan announced an ex-gratia of Rs two lakh each to the kin of the deceased and Rs 25,000 each to the injured people.
Since the temple is situated on a hilltop, the devotees reach there either through stairs, by road or by a ropeway.
As the ropeway was closed, the devotees could reach the temple only by road and stairs, sources said.
The temple witnesses a huge rush of devotees during the Navratri festival.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- Modi finds 'Little India' with Diwali lights, delicious food in Singapore - In Pics
- Failed to secure confirmed reservation in train? Now you can travel in pantry car!