Stone-pelting, police lathi-charge at Bhojshala
Dhar: Police cane-charged and lobbed teargas shells to evict stone-pelting protesters from a protected monument, which houses a temple and a mosque, and allowed minority community members to offer prayers at the disputed site here on Friday.
A few policemen were injured and some media vehicles damaged in stone-pelting, official sources said.
Bhojshala complex, which is home to a Saraswati temple and Kamal Maula Mosque, is protected by Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) and visited by both Hindus and Muslims on different days. The ownership of the complex has long been a matter of dispute between the two communities.
The ASI had allowed Hindus to perform Puja on February 15 in Bhojshala the whole day except between 12 pm and 3.30 pm, when Muslims were permitted to offer prayers there.
A large number of saffron workers were protesting against the ASI decision to permit minority community to offer prayers at the site today, when Basant Panchami festival has coincided with Friday prayers.
The festival began on a tense note in the town with Bhoj Utsav Samiti initially refusing to go inside Bhojshala, citing heavy police presence in the complex.
The Samiti, which organises the festival, relented and a few members of the committee went inside Bhojshala to keep a portrait of Waghdevi (Goddess Saraswati) and perform puja. They were joined by some locals.
Meanwhile, the saffron workers continued with protest. Trouble began at around noon when police asked the majority community members to vacate the premises, but they refused. Unidentified persons indulged in stone-pelting causing injuries to policemen and damaging a few media vehicles.
Police cane-charged the protesters and lobbed teargas shells to disperse them and to control the situation.
Inspector General (IG) Anuradha Shankar told reporters that a total of 16 people offered namaz in the complex at the designated time. She described the incident at the site as "minor" and said situation was quickly brought under control.
Under an arrangement, every Tuesday Hindus offer prayers at Bhojshala, while Muslims offer Namaz every Friday. On Basant Panchami, Hindus are allowed to perform puja at the monument the whole day. This year Basant Panchami coincided with Friday prayers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo