Stopped en route to Sanchi, Vaiko`s sit-in continues
Bhopal: The dharna by over a thousand MDMK workers, led by party general secretary Vaiko, stopped on their way to Sanchi to protest against the visit of Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa, continued tonight at Gadchicholi near Pandhurna on the Madhya Pradesh-Maharashtra border.
Jabalpur range Inspector General V Madhu Kumar told PTI late night that neither Vaiko nor any of the MDMK workers had been arrested, as the protest so far was peaceful.
Rajapaksa is scheduled to be in Sanchi for laying the foundation stone of the International Buddhist University on Friday. MDMK has opposed his visit, citing his government`s atrocities against Sri Lankan Tamils.
Kumar said police will take necessary action if MDMK protesters tried to proceed towards Bhopal/Sanchi.
Nanmaran, an MDMK leader, said the sit-in on the Nagpur-Chhindwara road continued. "Our leader will take call on further course of action tomorrow," he said.
Police have encircled the entire group of MDMK workers.
Earlier in the day, Vaiko and MDMK workers, travelling in a convoy of 40 buses, headed for Sanchi, were stopped on Maharashtra-MP border, following which they staged a sit-in on the road.
Vaiko alleged that Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan misled him by promising to discuss the matter in Bhopal, but he had been now stopped on the border.
Talking to reporters at Nagpur, the MDMK leader had earlier lashed out at BJP government in Madhya Pradesh for inviting the Sri Lankan president, and the Centre for endorsing the visit, "despite knowing that Rajapaksa is solely responsible for the genocide of innocent Tamils in Sri Lanka."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nawaz Sharif's dream of making Kashmir a terror hell will never come true, says Sushma Swaraj
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar monitors search operations but no sign of missing IAF plane
- President Mukherjee, PM Modi condemns suicide attack in Kabul
- In-form Indian women hockey team beats Canada 3-1
- 'Corporate governance reforms to promote sustainability'
- RSS must come clean on funds collected on Guru Purnima: Digvijaya Singh