Stringent law against cow slaughter in MP
Bhopal: BJP-ruled Madhya Pradesh has brought
in a stringent law against cow slaughter which has raised the
jail term from the current three years to seven years for
The Madhya Pradesh Cow Progeny Slaughter Prevention
(Amendment) Bill has received the Presidential assent
following which it has become an Act, an official release said
"In fulfilment of its commitment to protecting and
conserving cow progeny, the state government had passed the
amendment bill in the state Assembly in 2010 to remove the
flaws in the Madhya Pradesh Gauvansh Pratishedh Adhiniyam
2004," the release said.
The Act also obviated the difficulties and made the
provisions more stringent.
With the enforcement of the amended Act, now the
responsibility of proving the prosecution wrong would lie with
the accused in cases of cow slaughter.
Similarly, those found guilty of cow slaughter would be
liable to imprisonment for seven years instead of present
three years and a minimum fine of Rs 5,000 which may be
increased by the court.
The amended Act provides that no person shall slaughter or
cause to be slaughtered or offer for slaughter any cow progeny
by any means.
Besides, no person, including transporter, shall transport
or offer for transport or cause to be transported any cow
progeny himself or by his agent, servant or by any other
person acting on his behalf within the state or outside
the state for the purpose of its slaughter, in contravention
of the provisions of the Act or with the knowledge that it
will be or is likely to be slaughtered.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Really? Katrina Kaif rebuffs breaking up with Ranbir Kapoor?
- ISI plotted 26/11 Mumbai attacks with Pakistan govt's support, says David Headley