Strong opposition to renaming of Bhopal as Bhojpal
Bhopal: The Madhya Pradesh government`s
plan to rename the state capital from Bhopal to Bhojpal
appears to have run into rough weather with people from
various quarters including Opposition Congress strongly
criticising the idea.
The state government has said that it wants to change
the name of the state capital to Bhojpal in memory of the
philosopher king Raja Bhoj. However, those who opposed the
move contend that Raja Bhoj had nothing to with Bhopal and
hence naming the capital after him would serve no purpose.
According to the state government, if the name of Bombay
can be changed to Mumbai, Poona to Pune, Calcutta to Kolkata,
Madras to Chennai and Bangalore to Bengaluru then there should
be no problem in changing the name of Bhopal to Bhojpal.
Rechristening of these cities did not face any roadblock
but this is not the case with Bhopal as a large section of
the people do not want the city to be renamed as Bhojpal and
feel that it would lose its identity.
The name cannot be changed unless a proposal for it is
sent to the Centre and cleared by it, but so far the state
government has not taken any step in this direction.
Congress General Secretary Digvijay Singh said at a time
when Madhya Pradesh was facing a large number of problems the
BJP government in the state was trying to divert the attention
of the people by raising non-serious issues.
"The money that the state government is spending on
renaming the state capital could well be spent on various
development works," Singh told PTI.
Senior Congress MLA Ajay Singh said that by floating
the proposal to change the name of Bhopal, the state
government had once again demonstrated that it was not
interested in solving the problems of the people, but only
believed in cheap gimmicks.
Another Congress MLA, Arif Aqeel said there was no way
in which the name of Bhopal would be allowed to be changed and
pointed out that if need be, a PIL will be filed in the
Supreme Court on the issue.
"I was born a Bhopali, and there is no way in which I
would like to die as a Bhojpali," Aqeel said.
A `Save Bhopal Initiative` peace rally is also being
organised tomorrow on the VIP road in front of Raja Bhoj`s
recently installed statue on the issue.
Also known as `Raja Bhoja Of Dhar`, he belonged to the
Paramara dynasty and ruled the kingdom of Malwa in central
India from about 1000 to 1050.
The campaign against the renaming of Bhopal is also
being carried out also on social networking site Facebook and
also by the local edition of a national daily.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon