Surrogacy on rise in Madhya Pradesh: Expert
Indore: Madhya Pradesh is witnessing a rise in surrogacy as childless couples from India and abroad are thronging the state in search of women who are ready to rent
their wombs for a price.
The trend has consequently led to the increase in the number of women who are willing to become surrogate mothers to fulfil their financial needs.
"Surrogacy is thriving in Madhya Pradesh. People are now economically and mentally strong and willing to sidestep traditional beliefs to have children through this method,"
infertility expert Dr Dinesh Jain said.
"Financial cost of surrogacy is 5-6 times lower in India than European countries. Besides, it is difficult to get a surrogate mother in those countries following stringent laws in vogue there," Jain said.
Indore, Madhya Pradesh`s commercial centre, has become a hub for surrogacy as childless couples, including Non Resident Indians (NRIs), from all over the world are flocking here, health officials have said.
According to them, In-Vitro Fertilisation (IVF) centres in the state charge Rs 4 lakh or more from a needy couple for surrogacy. Advocate Piyush Jain, who handles surrogacy-related cases, said a proper law should be in put in place to deal with issues arising out of this Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART).
The Health Department should keep an eye on clinics which are providing surrogacy facilities to ensure that they were following Indian Council for Medical Research guidelines, he added.
ART industry of which surrogacy is a part is estimated to run in several thousand crores in the country. In India surrogacy is ungoverned by any laws, though a 2009 Law Commission report has stressed the need to regulate ART clinics.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India