Swami Agnivesh manhandled for remarks against lord Shiva
Bhopal: Social worker Swami Agnivesh was on Friday manhandled by activists of a local organisation here for his alleged derogatory remarks against lord Shiva.
The incident took place after a programme to launch the Maila Mukti Yatra in which Union Minister for Rural Development and Panchayati Raj Jairam Ramesh and Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan were present.
Police immediately intervened and forced away the activists from the spot.
"We protested against Agnivesh for his recent remarks against Lord Shiva. We would not spare anyone, specially those wearing saffron robes, for acting in such a manner," Sanskriti Bachao Manch`s convener Chandra Shekhar Tiwari told reporters.
The Manch activists forcibly removed a cloth worn by Agnivesh and also tried to remove his headgear but could not, he admitted.
Tiwari said the people of this country look upon those wearing saffron robes with great respect and if such persons engage in loose talk about gods, then it would not be tolerated.
Later talking to reporters, Agnivesh said that he had pardoned those who were involved in the incident and that he would not like to comment on it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- Deepika Padukone finds spot in world's highest paid actresses list
- Leak of documents relating to Scorpene submarines serious matter: DCNS
- Akshay Kumar cheers for Sonakshi Sinha's 'Akira'
- Egyptian President Abdel Fattah Al Sisi to visit India next month
- Saudi Police foil mosque suicide bombing: Ministry