Swami Agnivesh manhandled for remarks against lord Shiva
Bhopal: Social worker Swami Agnivesh was on Friday manhandled by activists of a local organisation here for his alleged derogatory remarks against lord Shiva.
The incident took place after a programme to launch the Maila Mukti Yatra in which Union Minister for Rural Development and Panchayati Raj Jairam Ramesh and Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan were present.
Police immediately intervened and forced away the activists from the spot.
"We protested against Agnivesh for his recent remarks against Lord Shiva. We would not spare anyone, specially those wearing saffron robes, for acting in such a manner," Sanskriti Bachao Manch`s convener Chandra Shekhar Tiwari told reporters.
The Manch activists forcibly removed a cloth worn by Agnivesh and also tried to remove his headgear but could not, he admitted.
Tiwari said the people of this country look upon those wearing saffron robes with great respect and if such persons engage in loose talk about gods, then it would not be tolerated.
Later talking to reporters, Agnivesh said that he had pardoned those who were involved in the incident and that he would not like to comment on it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city