Swiss woman gang-raped in Madhya Pradesh; 20 detained
Datia (Madhya Pradesh): In another shameful incident, a Swiss female tourist was gang-raped by seven to eight persons at a forest area in Datia district of Madhya Pradesh, police said on Saturday.
The victim was on a cycling trip with her husband at the time of the incident.
Twenty people have been detained on the basis of suspicion and are being questioned in connection with the incident, DIG(Chambal range) DK Arya told a news agency.
A rape case has been registered, police said, adding that seven to eight unidentified persons were involved in the crime. No arrest has been made so far.
The incident took place at Jharia village, eight km near Datia town, at around 9 pm last night when the 39-year-old woman along with her husband was touring the region on a bicycle as part of their India tour.
The couple--who are adventure tourists-- was camping at a forest area for the night while on their way back from Orchha, home to temples of Lord Ram, and were proceeding to Agra when they were attacked. The couple were planning to visit Agra in neighbouring Uttar Pradesh to see the Taj Mahal.
The woman was allegedly gang-raped in the presence of her husband, police said.
The victim was rushed to Gwalior, about 100 km from here, and her medical tests in a hospital have confirmed rape, police sources said.
The tourists told police that their camera, Rs 10,000 in cash and a laptop were missing.
"They (the couple) were coming from Orchha on a bicycle and they decided to stay in a forest. A lot of tourists throng the area. They were beaten up by a few people who took away their laptops," said ML Dhody, a Sub-Divisional police officer.
"We are scouring the forest area in search of those involved in the crime," Datia SP CS Solanki told a news agency.
Madhya Pradesh govt slammed
Chairperson of National Commission for Women Mamta Sharma said the MP government should take the incident very seriously and demanded strictest punishment to the culprits.
Leader of Opposition in MP Assembly Ajay Singh said the incident was a "blot" on the BJP government`s name and also put the state in poor light abroad.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes