Three tiger cubs go "missing" in Panna forest
Bhopal: Three tiger cubs, born to a
translocated tigress in May, have gone "missing" in the Panna
Tiger Reserve, sending alarm bells ringing for forest
officials in Madhya Pradesh.
The birth of the cubs was seen as a major boost to
efforts to revive tiger population as it was the first for any
"Three out of the four cubs born to a translocated
tigress in May have not been spotted for last couple of days
in Panna," State Principal Chief Conservator of Forest
(Wildlife) H S Pabla said today.
He said that hectic efforts were on to trace the cubs,
adding that it was not an easy task to find these small
striped cubs given the grass in the forest.
"Our teams are searching for the cubs in Panna which is
spread over an area of 543 sq kms in twin districts of Panna
and Chhatarpur in eastern Madhya Pradesh," Pabla added.
However, he did not rule out the possibility of the cubs
being dead, given their high mortality rate.
Some time back, a tiger had attacked the tigress that
gave birth to the four cubs. The tigress still has bruises, he
The tiger often kills the cubs to mate with tigress, a
forest official said.
Panna tiger reserve had become devoid of the endangered
animal last year and following this, two tigresses, one from
Bandhavgarh and another from Kanha Tiger Reserve were
trans-located in it on March 6 and March 9, last year.
Besides, a tiger from Pench tiger reserve was put in the
wild of Panna on November 14 last year. The tigress brought
from Kanha had given birth to four cubs in May.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- India vs South Africa, 1st ODI: Rohit's century in vain as Proteas snatch 5-run win
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read