Tight security in Dhar ahead of Basant Panchmi festival
Dhar/Bhopal: The Dhar town has virtually turned into a fortress with deploying of over 5,000 policemen ahead of Basant Panchmi festival celebration on February 14-15 at the disputed Bhojshala-Kamaal Moula Mosque site.
The Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) has said Hindus can perform puja on February 14-15 in the Bhojshala premises, while Muslims can offer prayers on February 15 between 12 noon and 3.30 pm.
The ownership of the Bhojshala complex has long been a matter of dispute between the two communities.
Addressing a press conference after reviewing the security in the town, Indore Division Commissioner Prabhat Parashar and Inspector General Anuradha Shankar said the administration will ensure that ASI`s directives are followed.
They requested the local people to cooperate with the police and ensure a peaceful celebration.
Two Deputy Inspector-Generals of Police, eight SPs, 17 ASPs, 51 DSPs, four companies of Rapid Action Force and a horse-mounted police contingent are camping in the town.
Bhoj Utsav Samiti has appealed the people to come in large numbers to celebrate Basant Panchmi festival on February 15.
A `Dharm Sabha`, organised by the saffron organisations on the occasion, will be addressed by Vishwa Hindu Parishad`s leader Hukumchand Sanvla.
Meanwhile, expressing concern over the developments at Bhojshala, the State Congress Committee`s Minority Cell Coordinator Arif Masood has filed a PIL in Madhya Pradesh High Court`s Indore bench on behalf of All India Muslim Personal Law Board, seeking directives to the police to ensure that no untoward incident takes place vis-a-vis Muslim devotees during the namaz.
Masood has cited incidents of 2006 when some anti-social
elements misbehaved with Muslim devotees which led to tension in the town.
He will also submit a memorandum to the Madhya Pradesh Governor Ram Naresh Yadav tomorrow on the issue, he said.
Madhya Pradesh State Minorities Commission`s former Chairman Ibrahim Qureshi demanded that state government should ensure that directives of ASI are followed in letter and spirit.
He appealed the people to maintain peace and communal harmony on the occasion, noting that it was not the first time that Basant Panchmi festival was being celebrated on Friday.
Madhya Pradesh Jamiat Ulma MP President, Haji Mohammad Haroon also expressed concern over the developments and demanded that Centre should send an observer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe