Toll in Dantewada Naxal attack rises to 7
Raipur: With two more jawans succumbing to injuries, the toll in the Naxal attack on a CRPF team in Chhattisgarh`s Dantewada district today rose to seven.
CRPF jawans identified as Abdul Qayyum and Surendra Singh died while undergoing treatment in a hospital this morning while the condition of another jawan, Naresh Kumar was critical, police officials said.
The Naxals triggered a landmine blast on a patch connecting Sukma and Keralapal areas of the district last evening when the CRPF team was returning from Keralapal. Senior police officials said that the 2nd battalion of the CRPF, led by commandant Arvind Rai, was returning to Sukma when the ultras triggered the blast in which the vehicle carrying the jawans was blown off.
The CRPF team had gone to Keralapal area to identify place for setting up new barracks for them following the Supreme Court order that security forces in Chhattisgarh to vacate all school buildings, educational institutes and hostels by May 18, the officials said.
The five jawans who were killed in the blast yesterday were identified as Ajit Pratap Singh, Rajpal Chandar, Anthony Minz, Sanjay Kumar and S S Pathania.
Meanwhile, the local police and CRPF teams have launched an extensive combing operation to trace the Naxals, they said.
The Naxals had killed 75 CRPF jawans in April last year.
- President's Rule to continue in Uttarakhand, next hearing in SC on May 3
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part II
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part III
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part IV
- Kabir Khan's message to the media after being 'heckled in Pakistan' is epic!
- Subrata Roy's health deteriorating in jail, can't survive another summer: Sahara tells SC
- BJP doing 'gundagardi' in name of making people say 'Bharat Mata ki Jai', says Arvind Kejriwal
- Sheena Bora murder: Indrani, Peter Mukerjea's custody extended till May 9
- Sushmita Sen - mother of two daughters - talks about her sexiest mantra