Tribal woman risks marriage for the sake of toilet
Bhopal/Betul: A tribal woman from Betul district of Madhya Pradesh, who almost "risked" her marriage over sanitary facilities has not only emerged as the role
model for the cause but also become a brand ambassador for the cleanliness drive.
Anita Narre`s insistence on having a toilet at her in-law`s place not only compelled her husband to take up the issue with Panchayat at his native in Jheetudhana in Betul district but also made Sulabh International adopt Anita`s village for its "Total Cleanliness Drive".
"We have decided to award Rs five lakh to Anita for taking a bold initiative and risking her marriage for the sake of a toilet," Sulabh`s Chairman Dr Bindeshwar Pathak told a news agency over phone from New Delhi.
"This will definitely motivate other Indian girls, especially in villages, to ensure that when their parents marry them they must see that there is a toilet at their in-laws
place," said Pathak who will soon publish a book on toilets in 24 languages.
He would provide five copies each of the book to all the panchayats of the country.
When 23-year-old Anita got married to Shivram Narre on May 13, 2011, she got the shock of her life as there is no toilet at her in-law`s place.
As there were hardly any lavatories in the village either the villagers would go to open field to relieve themselves.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez