Tribals protest against Greenpeace in MP
Singrauli: A large number of tribals staged a protest near here before the local office of Greenpeace, which is opposing Mahan Coal Ltd Project for allegedly violating environment norms.
The tribals belonging to four affected villages - Amilia, Nagva, Karkua and Vidher- staged the protest yesterday,holding placards like "Greenpeace go back" among others.
The protesters agitated before the office at Waidhan tehsil of the district, for nearly half-an-hour and later went back.
Greenpeace`s protest against Mahan project is not justified because if the company shuts down its operations then the people (working in the project) will have to face lot of hardship, especially on the employment front, Rajiv Pratap, who led the group told reporters.
Greenpeace campaigner, Priya Pillai, on the other hand, condemned the agitation and termed it as stage managed by the company concerned.
She also termed the latest report of the Intelligence Bureau, "Impact of NGOs on development", terming Greenpeace and other NGOs as "Anti-development", as an attempt to silence its voice.
Pillai said that Greenpeace will continue its fight against the violation of people`s right and for environment. The coal mine project is located at Waidhan, nearly 44 kms from here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Tata Sons removes Cyrus Mistry as Chairman; Ratan Tata interim boss for 4 months