Tribals protest against Greenpeace in MP
Singrauli: A large number of tribals staged a protest near here before the local office of Greenpeace, which is opposing Mahan Coal Ltd Project for allegedly violating environment norms.
The tribals belonging to four affected villages - Amilia, Nagva, Karkua and Vidher- staged the protest yesterday,holding placards like "Greenpeace go back" among others.
The protesters agitated before the office at Waidhan tehsil of the district, for nearly half-an-hour and later went back.
Greenpeace`s protest against Mahan project is not justified because if the company shuts down its operations then the people (working in the project) will have to face lot of hardship, especially on the employment front, Rajiv Pratap, who led the group told reporters.
Greenpeace campaigner, Priya Pillai, on the other hand, condemned the agitation and termed it as stage managed by the company concerned.
She also termed the latest report of the Intelligence Bureau, "Impact of NGOs on development", terming Greenpeace and other NGOs as "Anti-development", as an attempt to silence its voice.
Pillai said that Greenpeace will continue its fight against the violation of people`s right and for environment. The coal mine project is located at Waidhan, nearly 44 kms from here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Court to hear plea against Mohammad Akhlaq's family
- The UK EU referendum: Here is all you need to know
- Motorola Moto G4 goes on sale, buy it at Rs 12,499 on Amazon India
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic: Sweden's coach doubtful whether they will find another player like him
- Aryan Khan looks so Bollywood ready! Are filmmakers listening?