Tribals protest against Greenpeace in MP
Singrauli: A large number of tribals staged a protest near here before the local office of Greenpeace, which is opposing Mahan Coal Ltd Project for allegedly violating environment norms.
The tribals belonging to four affected villages - Amilia, Nagva, Karkua and Vidher- staged the protest yesterday,holding placards like "Greenpeace go back" among others.
The protesters agitated before the office at Waidhan tehsil of the district, for nearly half-an-hour and later went back.
Greenpeace`s protest against Mahan project is not justified because if the company shuts down its operations then the people (working in the project) will have to face lot of hardship, especially on the employment front, Rajiv Pratap, who led the group told reporters.
Greenpeace campaigner, Priya Pillai, on the other hand, condemned the agitation and termed it as stage managed by the company concerned.
She also termed the latest report of the Intelligence Bureau, "Impact of NGOs on development", terming Greenpeace and other NGOs as "Anti-development", as an attempt to silence its voice.
Pillai said that Greenpeace will continue its fight against the violation of people`s right and for environment. The coal mine project is located at Waidhan, nearly 44 kms from here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why