Twelve people die after garbage pile collapses on their huts
Narsinghpur (MP): At least 12 people including four women and five children were killed when a huge pile of garbage collapsed on their huts today due to heavy rains in Gadarwara town, which is about 50 km away from the district headquarters, the police said.
The incident occurred when a huge pile of garbage fell over a cluster of huts, trapping a number of people under it, Gadarwara town inspector Shailesh Mishra told reporters.
Soon after the incident, fire brigade personnel and other municipal staff rushed to the spot and launched a rescue operation. However, 12 people had already lost their lives by then, the police said.
So far, 12 bodies have been removed from collapsed huts, Mishra said, adding that chances of more people remaining trapped under the garbage cannot be ruled out.
Narisinghpur Collector Sanjeev Singh announced an ex-gratia payment of Rs 2.5 lakh each for the kin of those killed in the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister