Twelve people die after garbage pile collapses on their huts
Narsinghpur (MP): At least 12 people including four women and five children were killed when a huge pile of garbage collapsed on their huts today due to heavy rains in Gadarwara town, which is about 50 km away from the district headquarters, the police said.
The incident occurred when a huge pile of garbage fell over a cluster of huts, trapping a number of people under it, Gadarwara town inspector Shailesh Mishra told reporters.
Soon after the incident, fire brigade personnel and other municipal staff rushed to the spot and launched a rescue operation. However, 12 people had already lost their lives by then, the police said.
So far, 12 bodies have been removed from collapsed huts, Mishra said, adding that chances of more people remaining trapped under the garbage cannot be ruled out.
Narisinghpur Collector Sanjeev Singh announced an ex-gratia payment of Rs 2.5 lakh each for the kin of those killed in the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Clash between two football players leaves one dead
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer?
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer? - Part II
- DNA: Analysis of India's first-ever indigenous space shuttle RLV-TD
- DNA: Analysis of Chabahar pact signed between India, Iran and Afghanistan
- Jan Dhan accounts “very vulnerable” to frauds: RBI
- Vijay Mallya PMLA case: ED to invoke India-UK MLAT for extradition
- IPL 2016, Qualifier 1: RCB vs GL - Squads, date, time, venue, TV listing, live streaming
- BJP govt cannot turn a blind eye to illegal immigration in Assam: RSS
- CBSE announces results of Central Teacher Eligibility Test