Twelve people die after garbage pile collapses on their huts
Narsinghpur (MP): At least 12 people including four women and five children were killed when a huge pile of garbage collapsed on their huts today due to heavy rains in Gadarwara town, which is about 50 km away from the district headquarters, the police said.
The incident occurred when a huge pile of garbage fell over a cluster of huts, trapping a number of people under it, Gadarwara town inspector Shailesh Mishra told reporters.
Soon after the incident, fire brigade personnel and other municipal staff rushed to the spot and launched a rescue operation. However, 12 people had already lost their lives by then, the police said.
So far, 12 bodies have been removed from collapsed huts, Mishra said, adding that chances of more people remaining trapped under the garbage cannot be ruled out.
Narisinghpur Collector Sanjeev Singh announced an ex-gratia payment of Rs 2.5 lakh each for the kin of those killed in the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends