Uttarakhand BJP legislators whisked away to MP
Bhopal: Amidst fears of poaching, 30 newly-elected Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) legislators of Uttarakhand have been sequestered in Ujjain town in Madhya Pradesh ahead of a trust vote on March 29.
The 70-member Uttarakhand Assembly has 32 Congress members, 31 of the BJP, three of the Bahujan Samajwadi Party (BSP) and four independents.
The Assembly session will begin March 26. However, the next day will be important as the Congress government of Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna will attempt to get its nominee elected as the speaker.
Sources said, the BJP legislators were airlifted to Ujjain, 180 km from here, Thursday evening and were staying at Mittal Hotel.
Thawar Chand Gehlot, the BJP`s Uttarakhand general secretary and state president Prabhat Jha are supervising the "operation".
Jha termed it a "pilgrimage". "All this has nothing to do with political developments (in Uttarakhand). They have come for a pilgrimage and will also visit other religious cities in Madhya Pradesh," he added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview